April’s Euroluce fair in Milan offered a visual feast of ingenuity and innovation in lighting design, but seven trends stood out throughout the fair.
1) Bold statements: Designs were either in-your-face grand in terms of scale or architectural and hidden, making the surrounding environment more pronounced.
2) Stupendous pendants: These versatile fixtures were prominent in simple geometric forms to fairytale installations.
3) Solid state of mind: LEDs and their energy-saving potential gained traction in Europe.
4) Floor show: Tall portables shed traditional base-and-stem shapes in favor of fresh silhouettes.
5) Plastic fantastic: Colored silicone made a comeback.
6) Discreet luxury: Understated designs in quality materials resonated in both furniture and lighting.
7) Can do: Advances in recessed lighting made the category exciting again.