About a year ago, I was asked to give a keynote speech to the Alabama Home Builders Assn. The focus of my talk was to be wrapped around making some sense of what was happening in the industry and attempting to share what the future might look like.
When I arrived an hour before my speech, I noticed in the program that they had titled my speech ”Getting Your Mojo Back.” After a few minutes of reflection, I realized that my message was not only appropriate to this subject, but that my talk could be framed to make this a great experience for the audience.
While there have been significant changes over the last several years in consumer trends and behavior, the economic environment and the levels of stress in business, I believe how we deal with these has more to do with our success or failure than almost anything else.
The topic of ”mojo” is very relevant to this. Those who have lost their mojo are depressed, struggling and breathing out of a straw. Those who have their mojo are making it happen and seeing some strong results.
Opening the talk with the Alabama audience, I asked: ”How many of you know what mojo is?” Almost all of the hands went up. I then asked: ”How many of you feel like you have lost or seen your mojo eroded over the last few years?” About 80 percent of the hands went up. I tried to focus on the other 20 percent to see what they were doing to keep their mojo. Following are some of the comments and suggestions, which should serve as a checklist to take your own inventory:
Stop Listening to All the Bad News
We have all learned the phrase ”misery loves company.” The more you listen to the bad news (from the media, friends, etc.), the more your mojo vaporizes. One fellow said he unsubscribed to the newspaper and does not watch the evening news anymore, and he has seen double-digit growth in his business.
I know this is not always popular, but I have asked many: ”How much harder is it out there now versus five years ago?” Most say it is 30 to 50 percent harder. My follow-up question is then: ”Are you and your team working 30 to 50 percent harder?” Those who have their mojo intact are working very hard. They are making that one extra shot or putting in the extra hours. It is hard to lose your mojo if you are working through it and seeing some ”wins.”
Know Where You Are Heading
Those who have their mojo have the ”prize” in their sights. They may not know every twist and turn to get there, but they know where they are heading. Their longer-term goals are still intact, and they are controlling their day, not just reacting to circumstances. Just like the metaphor implies, if you know the destination (or at least the seashore versus the mountains), then the road map to get there becomes clearer.
So while you can't see or touch mojo, you know when you or someone else has it. The mojo (or confidence or enthusiasm or belief) is not just a gift at your doorstep. It is a product of your mindset and your action. While we cannot control all circumstances, we can control our day-to-day action. So get out there and get your mojo back!